The cryptocurrency gaming industry is worth billions of dollars because blockchain technology enables real-world transactions of non-fungible tokens (NFTs). There’s even a digital economy that pays one for playing.
Players can receive in-game currency that can later be used to purchase NFTs or transferred directly to a cryptocurrency wallet and then sell or trade tokens or currencies that can be used for real-world payments.
This is how players get paid for playing these crypto games and is one of the main motivations for players to participate in these games. This is why the popularity of Crypto games is so high.
What are Crypto Games
Crypto games are video games that run on a blockchain network and contain a fully or partially distributed ledger architecture that provides players with provable ownership of virtual products included in the game.
Unlike traditional games, crypto game assets do not reside on centralized servers. Instead, you own the items you earn from playing crypto games, including XP, weapons, and skins. Instead of losing all your game values, you can trade them with other players, sell them, or take them with you when you stop playing.
In Crypto gaming, players and developers stand on one side. Nobody controls the game’s outcome, and everyone can analyze the code used in most blockchain-based games. This transparency means that if a developer adds an update that the community doesn’t like, the game can be split up and different built-in versions.
Top Six (6) Crypto Games for Africans in 2022
- Axie Infinity: Axie Infinity is the first Ethereum-based NFT game to hit $1 billion in revenue on August 8, 2021. The undisputed king of all crypto games has taken NFTs to the stratosphere. Described by some as a Pokemon-like experience, the game consists of Axies (or digital creatures), each of which is an NFT
What sets Axie Infinity apart from other gaming platforms is its thriving virtual economy and the in-game tokens – Smooth Love Potion (SLP) and Axie Infinity Shard (AXS), which are reaping enormous profits.
There are multiple ways to earn cryptocurrency by playing this game. The first is to fight monsters or other players. You can also earn cryptocurrency by completing daily tasks. If you own Axies, you can breed them. You can also lend your Axies for some passive income. To get started, all you have to do is buy 3 Axies from the Axie Marketplace. Buying 3 Axies can cost at least $500-$600.
- CryptoBlades: CryptoBlades runs on Binance Smart Chain, so you need to buy some Binance Coins (BNB) to make the purchase. You also need to open an account with the exchange that sells BNB tokens. Binance.US (US-based) and Binance global are two very reputable exchanges.
Running on the Binance Smart Chain has advantages over running on the Ethereum blockchain, such as cheaper transaction fees and fast confirmation time.
While playing CryptoBlades, you can earn skill tokens by defeating enemies, conducting raids, and wagering.
- Upland: This blockchain-based game allows users to buy, sell, and trade virtual land mapped to the real world. “Digital Landlords” can build real estate and earn UPX coins. The project maps San Francisco and New York City and allows you to buy virtual properties for sale linked to real addresses in these cities. Recently, the game implemented a “Property to Dollar” beta program, allowing players to sell properties for a few real Benjamins.
- Mobox: This free option combines gaming with Decentralized Finance (DeFi) and runs on Binance Smart Chain. Mobox developers say this approach will bring gaming closer to GameFi, a platform where gamers and investors can access games from different blockchains in one place.
The game’s primary goal is to allow players to play NFT games freely and earn money by playing. MBOX tokens are used for transaction processing, staking and governance to influence the development and allocation of resources within the MOBOX ecosystem. There are currently three games to choose from on the platform, with two more to be announced soon.
- Splinterlands: Another game reminiscent of Pokémon, Yu-Gi-Oh and Magic. Splinterlands is a successful example of a player-driven economy card battle experience. All cards and gift packs have real value, are freely tradable, and are easy to learn to play.
Players can purchase new cards through the official in-game store or marketplace. Splinterlands is regularly expanded and updated, attracting more and more players. Rare cards were released in a recent update to make the game more attractive to players.
- Gala Games: Gala Games is a blockchain-powered gaming platform with multiple crypto gaming categories. GALA Coin is offered as a reward and utility token to players for in-game transactions within the ecosystem.
Not only tokens can be traded on the Gala Games NFT marketplace, but also in-game items can be sold and collected at fixed prices via several cryptocurrencies depending on their rarity.
As in-game items are collected, Gala Games intentionally leverages the blockchain to give players sole ownership of in-game items such as NFTs and ERC-20 tokens on the Ethereum blockchain.
Crypto gaming is the hottest trend in cryptocurrency right now. With the various implementations of non-fungible tokens (NFTs), players have more control over their in-game assets.
Players also can earn tokens by playing the game directly or by creating in-game NFTs and then selling them on select marketplaces. These are the top games worth your time as an African in 2022.